Barclays Bank Account
For flexible, rewarding banking
The Barclays Bank Account has everything you need for your everyday banking?– and if you apply with Blue Rewards you can get cash rewards from us and extra cashback from our partner retailers.
Add Barclays Blue Rewards
For ￡3 a month, here’s what you’ll enjoy
￡3 per month
Create your own debit card1
Award-winning online and mobile banking
Overdraft of up to ￡5,000 available2. Additional fees and charges apply
Cashback from retailers when you shop through us
Barclays Blue Rewards
By adding Blue Rewards to your account, you can enjoy money back for banking with us, and an extra 1% cashback when you shop through us. You just need to pay at least ￡800 into your account each month and pay a ￡3 monthly fee.
Direct Debit reward
Up to ￡7 a month
We’ll give you ￡3.50 for each of your first two Direct Debits every month.
Up to ￡9 a month
- ￡5 a month if you have or get a mortgage with us
- Up to ￡3 a month for home insurance
- ￡1 a month for a personal loan
Get extra cashback when you shop with over 150 retail partners.
Get cashback when you shop with over 150 retailers
Fashion & department stores
Home & garden
Leisure & outdoors
Gifts & books
Switch your bank account to us
It's simpler than you think
When you switch current accounts to us online, we do all the paperwork and keep you updated every step of the way.
Barclays Blue Rewards terms and conditions
Joining and eligibility
When you join we'll ask you to choose a suitable current account for Barclays Blue Rewards. Most of our accounts are suitable, including Premier. The only accounts you can't join with are: Barclays Basic, Young Person's, BarclayPlus, foreign currency accounts, Wealth and Business. If you have a joint account, only one holder can use that account to join. Other account holders can use a separate, suitable account to join if they have one.
You will need access to Online Banking or Barclays Mobile Banking to view and access your rewards, update your details or cancel Barclays Blue Rewards.
We'll check your chosen account on the first working day of each month to make sure that you did the following in the previous month:
- Paid in at least ￡800 (conditions apply) – you can read the terms and conditions by selecting ‘Additional Conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards' below, and on your Online Banking rewards homepage or Barclays Blue Rewards T&Cs in our mobile-banking app
- Paid the ￡3 monthly fee
As long as you do both these things in the previous calendar month, we’ll add any applicable Product Rewards (including any Direct Debit Loyalty Reward) or enhanced cashback to your Rewards Wallet on the second working day of each month.
Monthly fee and Loyalty Reward
Get up to ￡7 per month for banking with us – you’ll receive ￡3.50 cashback monthly for each of your first 2 Direct Debit payments.
We'll take the ￡3 monthly fee from your chosen account on the second working day of each month. The fee will show in your statement as 'Blue Rewards fee'.
If your chosen account doesn't meet the monthly eligibility check
We'll check your chosen account at the end of each calendar month, and let you know if you haven't met the criteria. We'll send you an email to let you know if you didn't meet the criteria and what you need to do next.
If you continue to not meet the criteria we'll close your Rewards Wallet – and you'll stop earning rewards. If we close your Rewards Wallet, we'll transfer any rewards you may have earned into your chosen current account, and stop taking the monthly fee. We'll add any pending cashback into your chosen current account at the lower rate.
If you earn less in rewards than the monthly fee
We may cancel Barclays Blue Rewards if the rewards you earn are less than the monthly fee. We’ll monitor the rewards you’re earning and we’ll contact you to give you 2 months’ notice before cancelling.
If you want to leave Barclays Blue Rewards
Just let us know using Online Banking or your Barclays Mobile Banking app. We'll add your available rewards balance into your chosen current account. Any pending cashback will be paid at the lower rate into your chosen current account (eg, travel that you have booked but not yet taken).
Tax treatment of Barclays Blue Rewards
The ￡7 Loyalty Reward received up to and including November 2016 for being part of Barclays Blue Rewards is subject to UK income tax and may need to be declared to H M Revenue & Customs.
All other current rewards and cashback earned through Blue Rewards, and any Loyalty Reward received from December 2016, are not subject to UK income tax.
These terms and conditions supplement the additional conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards (see below) and explain how you can earn Loyalty Rewards if you set up or make Direct Debit payments from one or more qualifying Barclays products.
The products that could give you Loyalty Rewards
Receive a ￡3.50 reward for each of your first 2 Direct Debit payments, up to ￡7 each month. You’re eligible for this reward if the Direct Debits are successfully paid from your chosen current account.
Mortgage Loyalty Reward
You can get our ￡5 monthly Mortgage Reward if you have or take out a residential mortgage with us. You’re only eligible for this reward on one mortgage at any time and it’s not available on our buy-to-let mortgages or staff mortgages taken out before 2003.
Loan Loyalty Reward
Get ￡1 each month on a Loan Reward if you have or take out a Barclayloan with us. The following loans don’t qualify: Professional Career Development, Resolve, Staff Season Ticket, Staff Career Development and all Staff Loans taken out before September 2013.
You’re only eligible for the Loan Reward:
- For one Barclayloan at any one time
- If your loan repayments are up to date, there are no arrears and we haven’t written off your loan
We might stop paying your Loan Reward if you fall behind with your repayments, there are arrears or we write off your loan.
Home Insurance Loyalty Reward
You'll get our Home Insurance Reward when you take out or renew your personal buildings, contents, combined cover or Finer High-Value Home Insurance with us. You can earn ￡1 per month for buildings or contents cover, and ￡3 per month for combined cover or Finer High-Value Home Insurance.
You need to join Barclays Blue Rewards first, or do so within 30 days of your policy start date, to be eligible for this reward. If you've had your policy for longer than 30 days, you won't be eligible until you renew.
It’s not available for any of our Student Possessions, Starter Contents, Home Emergency, Legal Services, Gadget, Bike, Sports Equipment, Personal Items and Student Contents cover.
Your rights under your insurance policy won't be affected by being a Barclays Blue Rewards customer.
You’re only eligible for the Home Insurance Loyalty Reward on one policy at any one time.
Life Insurance Loyalty Reward
- You’ll get our Life Insurance Loyalty Reward when you take out life insurance or life insurance with critical illness. You can earn ￡1.50 a month when you take out just life insurance and ￡5 a month if you opt for life insurance with critical illness cover.
- You need to join Barclays Blue Rewards first, or do so within 30 days of your policy start date, to be eligible for this reward. If you’ve had your life insurance policy for longer than 30 days, you won’t be eligible for the reward.
- Your rights under your insurance policy won’t be affected by being a Barclays Blue Rewards customer.
- You’re eligible for the Life Insurance Loyalty Reward on one policy only and for a maximum of 12 months. You can only have one life insurance reward term. After 12 months, you will no longer be eligible for a life insurance reward, even if you buy an additional life insurance policy at a later stage.
- The reward will only apply to life insurance policies bought from 15 November 2018.
When and how you’ll receive your rewards
Rewards for Barclays products
We’ll add your Direct Debit Loyalty Reward, Mortgage Reward, Loan Reward, Home Insurance Reward and Life Insurance Loyalty Reward into your Rewards Wallet?on the second working day of each month. Payments will start on the second working day of the calendar month that follows:
- Joining Barclays Blue Rewards if you have an existing mortgage or existing loan
- Completion of your new mortgage
- Opening of your new loan
- The starting date of your insurance policy
As long as you have Barclays Blue Rewards:
- Your Mortgage Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you have the mortgage
- Your Loan Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you have a loan unless we stop paying your Loan Loyalty Reward because your loan repayments are not up-to-date, you are in arrears or we write off your loan
- Your Home Insurance Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you hold the policy
- Your Life Insurance Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you hold the policy, up to a maximum of 12 months.
- If you, or your estate, makes a successful life insurance or critical illness claim (except child critical illness), your policy will cease and any current life insurance reward will also cease.
When you renew your home insurance policy, top up your loan, switch rates, borrow more, move house or remortgage from another lender, please check to see what Loyalty Reward you’ll be eligible for with your new mortgage, loan or home insurance policy. Life insurance policies are non-renewable, so the life insurance reward will cease after 12 months.
We might revise your Direct Debit Loyalty Reward, Mortgage Reward or Loan Reward in the future to make sure that the reward remains competitive and reflects changes to our costs over the term of your mortgage, loan or account. We might also add or remove any Product Rewards. We’ll give you 2 months’ notice before making any change and if you don’t agree with the changes, you can cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards, without charge, in Online Banking or our mobile-banking app.
We might revise your Home Insurance Loyalty Reward or Life Insurance Loyalty Reward in the future. We’ll give you 2 months’ notice before making any change and if you don’t agree with the changes, you can cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards without charge, in Online Banking or our mobile-banking app.
If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards and re-join later, you'll need to renew or take out new home insurance products from us to qualify for the Home Insurance Loyalty Reward. If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards and re-join later, you will not qualify for the Life Insurance Loyalty Reward, if you already have or had life insurance.?
Where a mortgage or loan is in joint names:
- If you’re both members or both become members of Barclays Blue Rewards, the reward will be split 50:50 between you (if there are more than 2 of you, it will be split between the 2 people who have held their current account with us for the longest period of time)
- If one of you leaves Barclays Blue Rewards then 100% of the reward will be paid to the remaining policy holder from that point onwards
- If only one of you is a member of Barclays Blue Rewards, that person will get 100% of the reward
Where Direct Debits are paid from a joint nominated account
Any Direct Debits paid from a joint nominated account will be eligible for the Direct Debit Loyalty Reward. The customer who has nominated that account for Barclays Blue Rewards will get 100% of the reward.
Where the home insurance or life insurance policy is in joint names:
- If you’re both members of Barclays Blue Rewards at the point of application, the reward will be split 50:50 between you (if there are more than 2 of you, it will be split between the two people who have held their current account with us for the longest period of time)
- If one of you leaves Barclays Blue Rewards then 100% of the reward will be paid to the remaining policy holder from that point onwards
- If only one of you is a member of Barclays Blue Rewards at the point of application, that person will get 100% of the reward
Extra cashback from retailers
Whenever you are paid cashback from our cashback retailers, you’ll earn an additional 1% enhanced cashback on top of the standard rate of cashback. If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards, you’ll only get the standard cashback. Details of the level of cashback and the payment terms for each retailer are available on their pages.
We’ll pay your cashback into your Rewards Wallet as 2 separate transactions. One will be for the standard cashback and the other will be for the additional 1% enhanced cashback for being a part of Barclays Blue Rewards.
The extra 1% will be paid on the second working day of the calendar month that follows the standard cashback payment.
Who can join Barclays Blue Rewards
To join Barclays Blue Rewards, you need to be a resident in the UK for tax purposes and have an eligible current account with Barclays. You’ll need to nominate an eligible Barclays current account for Barclays Blue Rewards to get the benefits. Your account can be a joint account, but only one of you will be able to join Barclays Blue Rewards from that account – so we’ll tell the other person if you join so they know they can’t also use that account to join Barclays Blue Rewards.If you have a Barclays Basic Current Account, a Young Person’s account, BarclayPlus, a foreign currency account, or a Barclays Wealth or Barclays Business account, we’re sorry, these are not eligible current accounts and you can’t use these to join Barclays Blue Rewards at the moment. However, we will keep reviewing and adding to the range of accounts that are eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards.?The monthly fee?We charge a fee of ￡3 each month. Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the second working day of each month. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards. It will show in your statement as ’Blue Rewards fee’.?What you have to do to earn Barclays Blue Rewards?To earn Barclays Blue Rewards, you must do two things each calendar month?
As long as you do these two things in the previous calendar month, we’ll add any regular product loyalty rewards (including any direct debit loyalty reward) or enhanced cashback to your Rewards Wallet on the second working day of each month.?When working out how much you have paid into the account, we will ignore?
- You must have at least ￡800 paid into your nominated current account, for example through your salary or pension (some payments won’t count towards the ￡800 – please see below)
- You must pay the ￡3 monthly fee
Please check the Barclays Blue Rewards website barclays.co.uk/bluerewards for details of the additional offers that you can qualify for when you join Barclays Blue Rewards and any additional product terms and conditions that apply. For example, you can earn rewards if you make direct debit payments from your chosen current account every month, if you hold or take out a Barclays residential mortgage product, if you hold or take out an eligible Barclays loan such as a Barclayloan, if you take out a Barclays home insurance product after you have joined Barclays Blue Rewards, and you can earn a higher rate of cashback with our range of retailers too. We’ll keep the website updated with new offers that you can qualify for and we’ll explain on the website how and when you can get these additional Barclays Blue Rewards and the additional terms that apply. We’ll add them to your Rewards Wallet as long as you are a part of Barclays Blue Rewards and you have done and continue to do the two things set out above in ‘What you have to do to earn Barclays Blue Rewards’.?Your Rewards Wallet?We add any rewards you earn into your Rewards Wallet, which you can access through Online Banking or Barclays Mobile Banking. You can see the amount of rewards that you have earned, and your available balance. You can ask for a payout of your rewards from your Rewards Wallet at any time through Online Banking or Mobile Banking into your other Barclays accounts. You will require access to Online Banking or Barclays Mobile Banking to view and access your rewards, update your rewards details or cancel Barclays Blue Rewards. You are not permitted to put money into your Rewards Wallet directly, and you won’t get a cheque book or any card with your Rewards Wallet.?The balance in your Rewards Wallet will be treated as an account, and may be included within any relevant tax reporting.
- Single amounts transferred from other personal Barclays accounts in your name, including any joint accounts or savings accounts. (regular payments from your personal Barclays accounts, or money paid in from a Barclays Business Account will count towards your qualifying amount)
- Amounts paid out from your Rewards Wallet
- Any interest that we pay you
- Any refunds you receive from us
Barclays is committed to protecting your personal data. We will use your information for a number of different purposes, for example,to manage your account(s), to provide our products and services to you and others and to meet our legal and regulatory obligations. We may also share your information with our trusted third parties for these purposes. For more detailed information on how and why we use your information, including the rights in relation to your personal data, and our legal grounds for using it, please go to barclays.co.uk/control-your-data or you can request a copy from us.
Credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies
In order to process your application we will supply your personal information to credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies and they will give us information about you, such as about your financial history. We do this to assess creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account, trace and recover debts and prevent criminal activity. These agencies may in turn share your personal information with other organisations. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment. Once you open an account with us, we will share account data with the credit reference agencies on an ongoing basis.
If false or inaccurate information is provided to us and fraud is identified, details may be passed to credit reference and fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering and to verify your identity.
The Credit Reference Agency Information Notice (CRAIN) describes how the three main credit reference agencies in the UK each use and share personal data. The CRAIN is available on the credit reference agencies’ websites
Or you can ask us for a copy of these.
For more details on how information held by credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies may be used, please go to barclays.co.uk/control-your-data or you can request a copy from us.
Cancelling Barclays Blue Rewards
If you want to cancel Barclays Blue Rewards, you can do so at any time either through Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app. If you cancel within the first 14 days of receiving these Additional Conditions and you have already paid a monthly fee, we’ll refund the fee, unless you have already received any rewards in to your Rewards Wallet.
We may cancel Barclays Blue Rewards immediately if you close your nominated current account or are no longer resident in the UK for tax purposes. We may also cancel Barclays Blue Rewards if you fail to meet the two conditions to earn Barclays Blue Rewards or if the monthly fee you pay is greater than the rewards you earn. We will give you two months’ notice before cancelling but we will not cancel if you start meeting the conditions and earning more than the fee again before then.
If we or you cancel Barclays Blue Rewards
- Any balance shown in your Rewards Wallet will be paid into your nominated current account
- You will no longer be eligible for any pending Rewards (such as direct debit, mortgage, loan or insurance rewards that are for the term of the product) that have not yet been shown in your Rewards Wallet
- Any pending cashback will be credited into your nominated current account but at the lower rate
- We will no longer charge you the Barclays Blue Rewards monthly fee in future months
Keeping you informed
We’ll always keep you informed about the rewards you’re getting and how they may change over time. We’ll send information about your Barclays Blue Rewards to you using texts, email, Cloud It and other digital methods. We will not send paper statements or letters about your Rewards, as all communication is online. If you want to talk to us about Barclays Blue Rewards you can contact us in any of the usual ways, including at a branch and by phone.